Thursday, January 28, 2010

Valentine's Day Series #1 - Decor Amor

As promised, a Valentine's Day Series is here. It begins with a request (my fave). The challenge: Meghan, the super nice blogger from Kitchen Notes/talented baker at Fuel Breakfast in Wilmette, is looking for Valentine's decoration ideas for a party to be hosted at Fuel. Most of these are inexpensive, but a trip to Michael's is in order. Note: I tried my hardest to ignore Martha, but she's everywhere and her cronies are genius (I can't possibly give her all the credit).








1. I have a serious issue with these apothecary jars. I blame Home Goods. How about filling a few up with candy hearts?

2. Martha. These kill me. The pockets, the crayon hearts and the doily votives - they're all just so cute. The pockets would be great (not even hanging), stuffed with little brownies or cookies (think cones). The hearts would be adorable in a window and the doily votives would be perfect on the counter or tables.
Sidenote: I also keep thinking about framing red heart doilies. A red heart in a white frame. Something to consider.

3. What about tons of paper pinwheels? Instead of flowers in a vase or used as cupcake toppers these would be a fun spin (get it) on traditional heart decorations. Instructions here.

4. Heart wreath, an old photo from Better Homes and Gardens. I couldn't find directions, but it looks easy enough. Cut out millions of little hearts and attach to a styrofoam or wooden circle. Sticking with hearts, try cutting out bigger ones, and stringing fishing wire or thread through the center of each one, making a sort of garland (see #7 for more ideas).

5. I love this window display for its simplicity. Michael's always has plenty of big wooden letters - maybe splash on some paint or glitter, or if you're really liking this idea, try fabric.

6. My favorite is a small, short vase, stuffed with big or small and tight flowers.

7. And finally, I really can't get my mind off of garland and flags. Any of these (or a combination) in pinks and white would be perfect in a bigger space like Fuel.



Meghan, I hope these helped! Here's to a successful Valentine's event!
Make sure to stop by Fuel if you happen to be in the area. Fun fact: when the restaurant closes, Meghan teaches kids cooking classes - how fun is that?!
(email here  for more info)

Next stop, Sweets & Treats.

2 comments:

Meghan Scarsella said...

Oh Katie- I love love love all of these ideas! Plus, I think my non-crafty self can actually swing a few of them. Thanks so much and see you Thursday!

The Social Secretary said...

I'm so glad, Meghan! Thank you for the challenge, it was so fun finding these. Can't wait!